Harry Maguire faces THREE YEAR legal battle to appeal Mykonos brawl conviction

HARRY Maguire today faces a three-year legal battle against his Mykonos bribery and violence convictions.

The United captain, 27, vowed last night to appeal the verdict immediately but will have to wait at least a week to launch it.





Maguire said yesterday said "the truth can't be hidden" after he was found guilty of bribery, aggravated assault and resisting arrest over the Mykonos brawl.

The £85million Man Utd captain, 27, avoided jail and being hit with a fine as he was convicted of all charges in a Greek court.

His high-flying human rights lawyer Alexis Anagnostakis must wait for the judgement to be formally written up before he can even get started with the appeal.

The process usually takes a week and is the first in a series of hurdles that will see Maguire embroiled in Greece’s “arcane and complex” legal system for years.

Meanwhile, Greek prosecutors have blasted Maguire and claim he told a 'pack of lies' over his part in the boozy Mykonos brawl.

MAGUIRE APPEAL

A legal source told The Sun it will likely be three years before it even gets to court meaning Maguire could be 30 before he gets the chance to clear his name.

They said: “The appeal process moves at a snail's pace.

“He will have to wait at least a week for the judgement to be formalised and that’s just the first hurdle within an arcane and complex legal system.

“It will be between two and three years until it gets to court thanks to the exceptionally antiquated process.

“Harry may want to get the ball rolling as soon as possible but this will be a long and bitter struggle.”

Maguire was found guilty of assault, attacking a cop, attempted bribery and verbal assault after a marathon seven-hour court session on the Greek island of Syros last night.

'MAGUIRE IS A DISGRACE'

In a highly unusual move the case was not adjourned for the defence to translate key documents and prepare the case.

Maguire's brother Joe, 28, and pal Chris Sharman, 29, were also found guilty of similar charges relating to a fight on neighbouring Mykonos in the early hours of Friday.

None attended but Maguire's dad Alan and friend Ashden Morley were present.

Ioannis Paradissis, who represented two of the six policemen involved in the case, told MailOnline after the verdict: "Harry Maguire is a disgrace. He has invented a pack of lies and has not had the decency to apologise.

"Maguire and his friends then invented a story about Albanians attacking his sister.

"I've never heard such rubbish. "

'LYING' COPS

Last night, Maguire was dropped from the England squad in a dramatic U-turn – less that six hours after being picked by Gareth Southgate.

After yesterday's verdict, just before 8pm, Southgate eventually revealed Maguire had been cut him from the squad.

But Maguire has claimed HE was the victim after being handed a 21-month and ten-day suspended sentence and being pulled from the England squad for the matches against Iceland and Denmark.

And in the early hours of this morning, the star posted on Instagram: "Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth – Buddha."

Following yesterday's verdict, the football star announced hewill appeal his conviction.



In a statement, he said: "Following the hearing, I have instructed my legal team with immediate effect to inform the courts we will be appealing.

"I remain strong and confident regarding our innocence in this matter – if anything myself, family and friends are the victims.”

Maguire's fiancee Fern Hawkins,has slammed "lying" Greek cops for trying to ruin the Man Utd star's "reputation".

Hawkins, who was in Mykonos with the centre-back at the time of the brawl, launched into a passionate defence of her boyfriend before he was found guilty of a string of charges yesterday.

Maguire spent two nights in a cell with Joe and Chris before appearing before a court on Saturday in Syros.

Maguire is now understood to have travelled back to the UK.

His sister Daisy was yesterday pictured arriving back in England wheeling a suitcase.

Maguire is next due to play at Old Trafford for their first game of the season on September 19 against Crystal Palace.




Source: Read Full Article