Vaughan stunned ECB didn't 'do due diligence' of Ollie Robinson

Former England captain Michael Vaughan says he’s ‘STAGGERED the ECB did not do their due diligence’ after debutant Ollie Robinson’s historic racist and sexist tweets emerged… as apologetic bowler returns to Lord’s to play today

  • Ollie Robinson is in hot water after tweets he posted when he was 18 emerged
  • The England bowler faces a hefty fine and could possibly get a suspension 
  • Robinson admitted he is ‘ashamed’ and ‘deeply regrets’ his comments
  • And Michael Vaughan criticised the ECB for not finding said tweets much earlier
  • Robinson has returned to Lord’s this morning ahead of day two of the Test match 

Former England captain Michael Vaughan has criticised the ECB for not doing ‘their due diligence’ after the emergence of Ollie Robinson’s racist and sexist tweets.

The England bowler, 27, who made his Test debut on Wednesday and took two wickets against New Zealand, admitted he was ‘ashamed’ and ‘deeply regretted’ his comments made when he was 18. 

Robinson faces a fine and a possible suspension as the ECB confirmed the launch of an investigation – Robinson has returned to Lord’s this morning ahead of the second day – but Vaughan says those at the English and Wales Cricket Board should know everything about their players before they play for their country. 


Ex-England captain Michael Vaughan (R) has criticised the ECB for not doing their ‘due diligence’ on Test debutant Ollie Robinson (L) 

Racist and sexist tweets posted when he was 18 emerged during the course of the first day 

‘I’m staggered that the ECB don’t do their due diligence on everything – by everything I mean if you are going into partnership with anyone or a brand, you do your due diligence in making sure you know everything about them,’ Vaughan told BBC’s Test Match Special

‘They haven’t done that on Ollie Robinson. I don’t think this gets put to bed easily because what he has tweeted is out there.

‘A few weeks ago, surely England would have known that Ollie Robinson was in their thoughts. You have to go through everything. These days on Twitter, social media it’s all there for everyone to see. 

‘You can’t suddenly – why didn’t they delete it – that’s irrelevant. He tweeted what he had tweeted in 2012.

‘Yes, he was 18 but I do find that staggering that the ECB with everything, the resources that they have in their operation, they don’t go through everything about every player that you pick just to make sure you have got everything covered.’

Reiterating the ECB’s ‘zero-tolerance stance to any form of discrimination’, chief executive Harrison said in a statement: ‘I do not have the words to express how disappointed I am that an England men’s player has chosen to write tweets of this nature, however long ago that might have been.  

Robinson issued an apology after a number of racist and sexist tweets were unearthed 

‘Any person reading those words, particularly a woman or person of colour, would take away an image of cricket and cricketers that is completely unacceptable. We are better than this. 

‘We will initiate a full investigation as part of our disciplinary process.’

An ashen-faced Robinson, who took two wickets as New Zealand closed the first day at Lord’s on 246 for three, said: ‘On the biggest day of my career so far, I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago, which have today become public. 

‘I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist.

‘I deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks. I was thoughtless and irresponsible, and regardless of my state of mind at the time, my actions were inexcusable. Since that period, I have matured as a person and fully regret the tweets.

‘Today should be about my efforts on the field and the pride of making my Test debut for England, but my thoughtless behaviour in the past has tarnished this.’ 

England wore Anti-Discrimination T-shirts before the start of Wednesday’s first Test match

Speaking on Sky Sports at stumps on day one, ex-England captain and Sportsmail columnist Nasser Hussain hoped that it would act as a lesson to other youngsters about social media.

‘It is a lesson really that if you’re in and around the team treat anything you do on social media as if you’re doing a press conference,’ he said.

‘If you’re going to wear t-shirts about online hate and abuse, anti-sexism and anti-racism you just can’t be doing this. It is just not good enough and it is just not on.

‘It is a good lesson for anyone out there with social media. When you do this sort of stuff and you put it out there whether it be after a few beers after 4am in the morning, it is out there for good.

The England bowler was making a successful start to his Test career against New Zealand

‘There is no room for racism, there is no room for online hate, there is no room for being a keyboard warrior at 4am because you’ve had a few beers. It is not acceptable. He is an 18-year-old lad who has made mistakes and we’ve all made mistakes and it has ruined his biggest day as a professional cricketer.

‘If anything good can come from this it is that some young lad of girl thinking ‘online abuse is not good enough’. He has learned the harshest and biggest lesson.

‘I always remember my debut fondly, I will always remember my first day. He will always remember this day for something he did as an 18-year-old and that is very sad.’ 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article