Sir Tom Jones says late wife Linda 'was always right'
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Sir Tom Jones, 80, has admitted he ignored his doctor’s warnings after they told him to “slow down”, amid a battle with a urinary infection back in 2018. The Sex Bomb hitmaker did not listen to medical advice to rest up after being treated for the condition in hospital.
I felt great then, and I feel great now
Instead, the rock star was determined to get back to performing, as he observed “slowing down is what kills you”.
Speaking on his health scare, Tom said: “The doctor told me, ‘You’re 78, you shouldn’t be running about on stage now, should you?’
“I was a bit angry at that. I told him, ‘Just because it stings when I pee, that’s got nothing to do with whether I can sing.’
“I felt great then, and I feel great now. I shouldn’t slow down. Slowing down is what kills you,” he told the Daily Express.
However, despite his protestations, the doctors still believed Tom was not well enough to carry on performing due to his older age, which could slow recovery.
Relaying the doctor’s response to him after voicing that he was feeling better, Tom told Jen Long on her podcast Talk The Line: “‘Ah well you know at your age.’ I think I was 78 then, ‘What are you worried about now? You shouldn’t be worrying about it’.”
However, the main reason for the singer’s determination to recover quickly was so he could entertain audiences.
He added: “I don’t want to let people down! I’ve got shows to do. So he tried to tell me to, ’Slow down’ but I don’t want to slow down!”
Tom admitted that despite most of his fans being “fine” with him returning to the stage, some did express their worries for him.
“People were concerned, they thought their was something wrong, but it was an infection I had,” he finished.
It comes as Tom pulled out of a series of concerts back in 2018 due to an unspecified illness.
On his Twitter account, one statement read: “It is with regret that we have to cancel Tom Jones’s performance at Down By The Laituri, Turku, Finland on Wednesday 25th July.
‘Really made me cry’ Charlene White on abuse for not wearing poppy (PHOTOS)
Denise Welch reignites feud with ‘disgraceful’ Piers Morgan (NEWS)
‘I will totally lose it’ Ben Fogle’s wife in rare family insight (LATEST)
“Sir Tom Jones is recovering well from his recent illness, however will not be fit enough to perform on Wednesday.
“He is extremely sorry and disappointed not to be able to perform, and sincerely apologises for inconveniences caused to the audience and all those who are involved in the event.”
The then 78-year-old also cancelled his concerts in Chester, Leicester and Stansted.
His reps confirmed he was suffering from a “bacterial condition” which meant he would need to remain in the hospital for treatment.
They typed: “Sir Tom has a bacterial infection for which he is being treated in hospital.
“The condition is being well managed and under doctors’ orders, appropriate recovery time and rest is advised.”
Since then Tom has thankfully made a full recovery and has focused on his role as a coach on The Voice UK.
Source: Read Full Article